Thursday, August 10, 2023

Thirteenth Full Day at Pennsic

Some happy things from today:

  • This morning I visited a merchant friend and asked if they could glue pearls back onto the coronets. They gave me a tube of glue and now both the coronets have six pearls again.  Yay!
  • In the afternoon Keziah and I watched our first steel fighting tournament. The majority of SCA heavy fighting involves rattan wooden swords.  Using heavy steel is a relatively new practice in the SCA. Things were a little different. With rattan, the fighters use the honor system as to whether a blow is good or not. With steel (not sharpened), there are judges who watch to determine which hits are good.
  • When the fighting was about half way through, there was entertainment. The Foxy Bard and Twig performed some lively music.
  • The last few years when I go to Pennsic my ankles start to swell at some point. It isn't until then that I think about keeping my feet elevated. Today Keziah let me borrow a pair of compression socks. There are silly monkeys on them that make me smile.
  • For over a year I have been working off and on (mostly off) on a chemise to go with a new Viking apron dress that Keziah and I made. I finally wore it today and it fits. There was concern that my body shape had changed some and it would be too small.
  • Zed, Keziah, and I went to a Commedia del Arte show by the Commedia Allstars.  It was loosely based on this article by The Scallion (https://thescallion.blog/2023/03/02/breaking-pennsic-lifeguard-removed-from-office-for-refusing-to-allow-alligators-in-lake/).  They did a wonderful job.  We laughed, booed, hissed, and cheered for the hero.  I will add that The Scallion article is fiction, but based on a real life situation. 
Some pictures:

Bug

Flowers and bee

Steel fighting 

Steel fighting

Coronets with pearls.

Pretty clouds.

Commedia selfie

Commedia

Commedia



☮️




Currently reading: She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb.



Thank you for being part of my happy things. Stay Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

123123

Happy things from this last day of 2023: Yesterday I did the laundry for the rest of the family. Then, I started on the towels. Today this...